SCI-FI BOBS – Launching today January 6, 2020
About the series: I will draw Bob the Squirrel as some of the more famous characters from the genre of sci-fi. The series will probably go as the Rock and History series have gone… 100 images, 100 characters.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to something… the FAMILY PORTRAITS are back!
I may or may not end it at 100. Funny, I said the same thing when I hit 50. Oh well.
What is the deal with the new decade?
I might as well do a recap.
At the beginning of 2010:
- I was 34 years-old
- I was finishing up my next-last semester in Graduate school
- Lez and I were going on three years as a couple
- I was still trying to maneuver through the ups, downs and completely don’t knows associated with being a dad to Lauren
- I had been homeowner for a little under two years… with the financial and physical scars to prove it.
- Eight years of Bob… and agonizing over whether or not I should continue the strip
- I was in very preliminary talks with a producer on the “Rachael Ray Show” to possibly be a guest on their Valentine’s Day show… and propose to Lez. That didn’t work out because I refused to have my beard and mustache shaved off for a makeover. (True and very sad story)
- Had absolutely no plan or idea of what I was going to do moving forward
Fast forward a decade… that last point remains true. I thought with age comes wisdom. For some, that may be true… but for me age just brings more jadedness and confusion. Especially coming off one of the worst years of my life personally. Professionally, my work was on fire. The History Bob series, Art history/cartoon series breathed new life into my process… holy hell, I can’t believe I just used the work “process” like that.
So, I don’t know what 2020 has in store for me… or for my work or my family. Why try and make plans? Why try and predict? Just go with it and hope it doesn’t hurt too much. And draw a few hundred squirrels along the way.
You can come along if you like… been with me so far, might as well see how it works out.