I think about what I’ve done and what I may want to do in the next year.
Sometimes, I even entertain the notion of ending the strip… as I did in 2012, the tenth year of Bob. Come to think about it, I think about ending the strip (albeit in a non-serious way) damn near every year.
Except this one. Not once in 2014 did I consider the ending. I came close on a couple of bad, rejection laden days, but as soon as I sensed them coming up the driveway I shut the windows and locked the door to any of those thoughts.
The state of the squirrel is strong… stronger than I think it has ever been. I try not to question why, but I fail.
Maybe my age?
Maybe my own stubbornness?
Maybe an overwhelming belief that what I do is good?
Maybe the continued support of readers all over the world?
Maybe it’s all of the above.
I can honestly say that I have everything. Everything. I knew it before, but now I REALLY know it.
I may not be there in a professional sense yet, but I’ll get there.
That being said, why should I change what I do in 2015? Simple. Because I can.
I want to explore new creative endeavors with Bob. I can see that the world is changing, and if I don’t want to become a trivia question, I have to adapt to the change. I could resist, I could protest… but who would listen? There has to be a balance between the old and the new. You don’t burn down the house because the color of the walls stinks… you adapt.
What I see for 2015:
1. I will most likely be ending Squirrelosophy, in its current incarnation, sometime this year. I started it way back (ha!) in 2012 thinking that it would gain a sizeable popularity over time. That popularity never really materialized… in terms of the website traffic. The panels have been very well received… via social media: Facebook especially. Frankly, I enjoy doing the single panels. Sometimes, they’re just tiny drawings out of my sketchbook. Those will not be going away. Just adapting.
2. I will be amping up my video presence. I’ve merely dabbled in video. I’ve always been so damn busy drawing and doing other things that I never gave it much attention. It’s funny how a squirrel puppet from Barnes and Noble and an iPhone can make you see things in a different light. I don’t want to spill all of my ideas just yet… in case something happens to prevent me from bringing them all to life. Just know, if I can get it to breathe, you’ll love it.
3. More great stories, more squirrel goodness and the same reliability and quality you’ve come to expect of the strip and what I’ve come to demand of myself.
4. Instagram Bob 365. In March 2015, the Instagram Bob 365 project will be complete. The entire year will be made available as a downloadable eComic. It my also be available as a full color print book.
5. Other stuff. Tweaks and twists that will pop up over the course of the year. I’m going to try a lot. If even half of it works, whoa… watch out.
So, thank you one and all that have been reading the strip for days, weeks, months and years… some of you a decade or more. I appreciate and revere every single one of you. You’ve always showed me and my family the greatest of respect, support and kindness. Believe me when I say you all give me much more that I could EVER give to you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.Now, let’s get back to work.